I’m a fan of Dr. James Dobson books and many have been useful tools for parenting, marriage and relationships. “Your Legacy: The Greatest Gift” is quite different than the other books. The first four chapters are an autobiography of the Dobson genealogy from 1800 to the present. The next chapters are storytelling moments of Dobson family history, along with stories of people Dobson has met through his ministry work. Often while reading the book I felt the book itself was Dobson’s legacy to his children and future generations, rather than written for a wider audience. I gleaned from the examples and stories as much as I could apply to my own family legacy: I reminisced about praying grandparents, raising my children with a Christian foundation, and ministering to the prodigal with tough love.
Topics in the book include:
- Dr. Dobson’s personal story of his own spiritual legacy
- Strategies for the spiritual training of children
- Help for parents of prodigals
- Hope for reaching unsaved parents
- Principles for building a love relationship with your children
- Testimonies from parents who got it right
- Stories you can read to your children for leaving your legacy
- Steps you can take to lead your child to Christ
Other than the chapter on prodigals, the most applicable information I found was in the Appendix: Strategies For Leaving Your Legacy. This useful list includes ideas on weaving a legacy through your own family tree.
I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”